Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lock it up!  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Jay

• mmm...beer
  • Administrator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
    • jayt.org
Lock it up!
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:08:22 AM »
I'm moving into an apartment in March/April. My bike can stay in my parent's shed until riding season, but after that it'll be sitting in my apartment complex. I will need a good all weather cover, and locks. I don't think I will have any kind of post to chain it to regularly, so I may have to deal with just using some disc locks.

Any recommendations?
-Jay

Offline motoarch

• Pit Crew
  • Rossi
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lock it up!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 02:14:59 PM »
nope sorry.  i leave my S3 in commuter lots and a boat yard all the time when i go to work and no ones ever bothered it.  Im a little surpised it was never stolen

Offline SkiMan

• Pit Crew
  • I post a lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »
JB....
I've got one of the disc locks thats got a orange coated wire that attaches to the bars. Key lock system that works fairly well, easy to use and attach, not that I use it very often. Bought it at
Cyclegear for 20 or 30 bucks. The wire attached to the bars is to remind you that you've got the darn thing attached.
May want to think about renting a small storage space close to the apartment and use it in lieu of a garage, just need to check to make sure that you can leave the battery in the bike and gas in the tank.
I did this with my Porsche for a short period of time, worked out fairly at the time for my needs.
Skiman
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:08:59 PM »
I use the NY disc lock when I leave the bike in a parking lot.  When I was a city dweller, I chained the bike to a post.  If you can find a way to sink a post, even one that just gives you a ground level padeye to lock the bike to, you are well ahead of the game.
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline Bryan

• MSF Instructor
  • Can you see me now?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:14:32 AM »
I live in a condo and have had no problems leaving my bike outside. I've got a Nelson-Rigg cover and Baxley Sport Chock (my R6 didn't have a center stand), and a Bulldog disc lock. Maybe consider an alarm, though most people don't pay any attention to car alarms.  If somebody really wants it, nothing is going to stop them. The best thing you can do is get theft coverage on your insurance. That way you can replace it if it does get stolen.

Offline Tim

• Team Triumph
  • Pit Crew
  • Rossi Sr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 10:35:50 AM »
I live in a condo and have had no problems leaving my bike outside. I've got a Nelson-Rigg cover and Baxley Sport Chock (my R6 didn't have a center stand), and a Bulldog disc lock. Maybe consider an alarm, though most people don't pay any attention to car alarms.  If somebody really wants it, nothing is going to stop them. The best thing you can do is get theft coverage on your insurance. That way you can replace it if it does get stolen.
I agree, If someone really wants it, they're gonna get it. One of my best friends had his R1 stolen right out of the front of his condo last summer in broad daylight. He had every lock you could think of,  and they backed a truck up to it, took bolt cutters , cut the 1in cable off of his porch, and four guys picked it up , put it in the back of a truck and drove away. there was a witness to it, and she said by the time she saw it happening and grabbed the phone to call the police , they were gone. They never caught the people, and he didn't have theft so he lost out. Lesson learned
2000 Honda VT1100 Sabre

"Looking for excuses to ride, not looking for excuses not to ride"

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 11:30:24 AM »
Not that the theft insurance is much good on an older bike.  The best you can hope for is to make it inconvenient enough that they look to steal a different bike.
maybe the sky IS falling