Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: another oil change thread  (Read 3982 times)

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
another oil change thread
« on: October 03, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »
5000 miles, so time for an oil/filter change.  The oil draining was fine, I had done this before on the SV, so the drain plug was at 15 N-m (plus a little windage) and came right out.  The filter was the last one that the shop put in on the post break-in service.  I used a plastic end cap type wrench first, the plastic gave way before the filter did.  So I moved to a rubber strap wrench.  It went to full stretch and fell apart before the filter moved.  So I laid down the big water pump wrench next to the bike, so it would know I was serious, and strapped a chain wrench around the filter.  The filter deformed, but it came off.  I put the new one on (primed, of course) hand tight plus with plenty of lubrication and did the "run and add" till I was repeatably just below the FULL mark.  I used Rotella 5W-40.  (Go ahead, say something, I dare you.)
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline Jeff

• Iron Butt
  • Pit Crew
  • Post Whore
  • Expert Agitator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GearHd6
    • View Profile
Re: another oil change thread
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »
I love when the shops tighten the filter with a wrench. It makes removal a breeze! Ha ha!
-Jeff

2015 Triumph Tiger XCx
1998 Triumph Daytona T595
2004 Honda CRF250X

Offline jerrythi

• Don't Mess with Texas!!
  • Administrator
  • I post a lot
  • 2011 Concours 14 2001 DRZ 400E
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 03:15:05 PM »

5000 miles, so time for an oil/filter change.  The oil draining was fine, I had done this before on the SV, so the drain plug was at 15 N-m (plus a little windage) and came right out.  The filter was the last one that the shop put in on the post break-in service.  I used a plastic end cap type wrench first, the plastic gave way before the filter did.  So I moved to a rubber strap wrench.  It went to full stretch and fell apart before the filter moved.  So I laid down the big water pump wrench next to the bike, so it would know I was serious, and strapped a chain wrench around the filter.  The filter deformed, but it came off.  I put the new one on (primed, of course) hand tight plus with plenty of lubrication and did the "run and add" till I was repeatably just below the FULL mark.  I used Rotella 5W-40.  (Go ahead, say something, I dare you.)

Rotella is the way to go..   about 5 bucks a QT plus a filter.  a little research tells me that the low friction additives ( and type ) are well below any levels that affect clutch performance. 
but for me 5000 miles is pushing it.I only go about 1500 miles.  but thats me
Crosby Texas!

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 03:21:20 PM »
The bike had 5000 miles, my last oil change was at 2000.  I go 3000 miles between changes, well within what suzuki says.
I did a first change at 800 miles to get rid of any break in crap, then at 2000 miles to get rid of the Suzuki 20W-50 and replace it with the Rotella.  I went a bit below the FULL line this time since the SV forum suggests I will shift smoother.
A strange note on the oil filter is that the Suzuki manual says to take the filter 2.5 turns past hand tight.  I never saw anything like that before on a spin on filter.
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline jerrythi

• Administrator
  • I post a lot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 03:26:31 PM »
The bike had 5000 miles, my last oil change was at 2000.  I go 3000 miles between changes, well within what suzuki says.
I did a first change at 800 miles to get rid of any break in crap, then at 2000 miles to get rid of the Suzuki 20W-50 and replace it with the Rotella.  I went a bit below the FULL line this time since the SV forum suggests I will shift smoother.
A strange note on the oil filter is that the Suzuki manual says to take the filter 2.5 turns past hand tight.  I never saw anything like that before on a spin on filter.

about one half turn is considered ok... 2.5 seems excessive.  and I do the same, I fill the sump to just below the upper fill mark. I've been running Diesel oils for about 8,000 miles and have not had any issues with my Kawasaki at all.  just ran the 1975 Z1 through a 500 mile break in so it gets the same oil.
Crosby Texas!

Offline Jeff

• Iron Butt
  • Pit Crew
  • Post Whore
  • Expert Agitator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 03:51:59 PM »
Is 5W-40 what your manuals call for? The "5" part of that is pretty scary to me, especially once it gets into the summer months.
-Jeff

2015 Triumph Tiger XCx
2004 Honda CRF250X

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »
The 5 is below what the manual calls for, but studies suggest that it is just fine, even when hot due to the "40", and more to my satisfaction, I have run it in all my vehicles, from high revving 250s to my truck. The difference seems to be in switching to it quickly enough. If I ever get my MG on the road, I'm not sure I would put too thin an oil in it, since it had always run 20W-50 (before that fateful day it spontaneously burst into flame)
There are enough other people running their bikes to 100,000 miles on Rotella that I'm not really worried about it.
If you have never looked at the CalSci oil stuff:
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html
you might find this interesting reading.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 04:49:52 PM by barrypz »
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline jerrythi

• Administrator
  • I post a lot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 04:46:43 PM »
The 5 is below what the manual calls for, but studies suggest that it is just fine, even when hot due to the "40", and more to my satisfaction, I have run it in all my vehicles, from high revving 250s to my truck.  The difference seems to be in switching to it quickly enough.  If I ever get my MG on the road, I'm not sure I would put too thin an oil in it, since it had always run 20W-50 (before that fateful day it spontaneously burst into flame)
There are enough other people running their bikes to 10,000 miles on Rotella that I'm not really worried about it.
If you have never looked at the CalSci  oil stuff:
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html
you might find this interesting reading.

I don't believe any oil can servive (or motor) without some measurable damage to 10,000 miles on the amount of oil the sump holds (usually 3-4 QTS)    maybe I'm old school about oil's Capabilities. oil's have changed alot in the last 2 years...  this website was last updated in 07  (This page Copyright 2003-2007, by Mark Lawrence.)  so maybe people are truely saving some money by pushing out there oil change intervals.  I'll have to take a closer look.....
Crosby Texas!

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 04:52:09 PM »
I corrected my post, it was meant to say "100,000" miles (sticky laptop keys, fat fingers, etc)
I think you are more right than wrong to keep your change intervals short.  I would be uncomfortable running oil past 3,000 in a bike, knowing what the clutch and transmission are doing to it.  I'm willing to push a filter further, but that is a completely different argument.
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 04:52:42 PM »
or if you don't want to argue, discussion.
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline Jeff

• Iron Butt
  • Pit Crew
  • Post Whore
  • Expert Agitator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 05:48:44 PM »
The 5 is below what the manual calls for, but studies suggest that it is just fine, even when hot due to the "40"

The "5" is really the only part that comes into play when the weather is hot. The "40" is merely the thickest it will get which really isn't coming into play when it's 90 degrees out. I was to the point where I thought "10" was a little to thin for my liking on a hot day.
-Jeff

2015 Triumph Tiger XCx
2004 Honda CRF250X

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 06:15:54 PM »
from the CalSci site:
"An oil sold as 10w-40 is no thicker than 10 weight oil under Winter (10w) conditions, meaning below freezing. The 40 means it is no thinner than 40 weight oil at 212 Fahrenheit. So, the first number tells us the performance of the oil at or below the temperature of freezing water, and the second number tells us the performance at the temperature of boiling water."
The 5 comes in to play when the engine is at its coldest, the 40 at its hottest.
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline jerrythi

• Administrator
  • I post a lot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 06:32:54 PM »
from the CalSci site:
"An oil sold as 10w-40 is no thicker than 10 weight oil under Winter (10w) conditions, meaning below freezing. The 40 means it is no thinner than 40 weight oil at 212 Fahrenheit. So, the first number tells us the performance of the oil at or below the temperature of freezing water, and the second number tells us the performance at the temperature of boiling water."
The 5 comes in to play when the engine is at its coldest, the 40 at its hottest.

the engineers design an oil for there target market. they expect a 10w oil to flow well below 0    Its amazing to me that oil change intervals have been pushed out to there current limits and engine wear (or the lack of) has improved so much..    in the 70's when I pulled a motor apart it was the norm to have to deal with  severly worn rings, bearings and the like.  today I see very little wear,  in fact its not uncommon to have to check everything to spec to verify wear.  so the science of oil has improved Dramatically in the last 25 years.............and on
Crosby Texas!

Offline Jeff

• Iron Butt
  • Pit Crew
  • Post Whore
  • Expert Agitator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 06:45:47 PM »
from the CalSci site:

I guess that makes ZERO sense to me. Back in the day everyone switched from summer 10W-40 to 10W-30 in the winter because the "30" was thinner to flow in the colder temps. That paragraph you quoted makes no sense. It's seems like they've got those numbers backwards to me, how can an oil flow thinner in the winter?
-Jeff

2015 Triumph Tiger XCx
2004 Honda CRF250X

Offline Jeff

• Iron Butt
  • Pit Crew
  • Post Whore
  • Expert Agitator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 06:48:08 PM »
Or should I say, the "30" flowed better at cold start up.
-Jeff

2015 Triumph Tiger XCx
2004 Honda CRF250X