Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need a new chain  (Read 1686 times)

chompy

Need a new chain
« on: August 16, 2009, 01:36:47 PM »
So I was on the highway driving well....fast and my chain exploded broke a hole in my sprocket cover and put a hole in one of my oil pipes.  So I'm looking for a good place to find out what chain I need because bike bandit doesn't do it by application its by length and such.  So I need a application guide or a site that sells by application cause I don't think I trust the ebay chain on my street bike because I had one fail on my dirt bike.  

EDIT: I figured it out its 530 x 110 seems like a decent chain is at least 80 bucks....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 02:51:45 PM by chompy »

Offline Ray

• "Tag Retiree"
  • Pit Crew
  • Rossi
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need a new chain
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:48:57 AM »
Wow, the OEM chain prices for your bike, whether it's a ZX-7 or 750R are crazy ($380), and the best price I could find on a good, DID chain was $126.  So the 80 bucks sounds like a good deal if it's a quality chain.  IMO, chains are not the place to skimp on quality--you're lucky that last one didn't do more damage, or worse, lock up your rear wheel at speed.  Make sure you figure in the cost of a chain breaker/riveter if you don't have access to one.
Vin

chompy

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 08:50:47 PM »
the chain isn't cut to spec? lame

Offline Jeff

• Iron Butt
  • Pit Crew
  • Post Whore
  • Expert Agitator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GearHd6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »
the chain isn't cut to spec? lame

You can get them cut to the correct length when you order them. But if you're going to use the rivet type master link you'll need the proper chain tool.
-Jeff

2015 Triumph Tiger XCx
1998 Triumph Daytona T595
2004 Honda CRF250X

Offline motoarch

• Pit Crew
  • Rossi
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 09:31:51 PM »
i had to cut a link off my new chain last week.  it was easy with a dremel tool. 

i agree with ray chains are too importaint to skimp on.  i did lock up a bike at 50 mph when mu chain failed and got thrown in front of on coming traffic.

sms

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:24:11 PM »
You'll need a chain rivet tool in order to get the new chain on and they are cheap...$75- $100. Do not go the masterlink route- it will only break again.

chompy

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 10:10:43 AM »
well I found this and I have both soooo..... http://www.kawiforums.com/how-tos-faqs/121549-diy-chain-rivet-tool.html do I just rivet the masterlink instead of using that dumb clip?

chompy

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 10:44:38 AM »
BTW I was wondering is EK a good brand?

Offline motoarch

• Pit Crew
  • Rossi
    • View Profile
    • Email

sms

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 01:20:40 PM »
well I found this and I have both soooo..... http://www.kawiforums.com/how-tos-faqs/121549-diy-chain-rivet-tool.html do I just rivet the masterlink instead of using that dumb clip?

If you can make this go for it looks like a good idea. The only issue I see is getting enough torque on the C-clamp to flatten the rivet. The actual chain rivet tool has a hex head on it so you can wrench it down. But I'm sure you could put a box end wrench or a large pair of chanel lock pliers on the C-clamp to turn it. If you need some help let me know- I might be able to swing by and help you out. EK is a good brand chain, I had one on my zx12 and it held up fine.   

Offline Jeff

• Iron Butt
  • Pit Crew
  • Post Whore
  • Expert Agitator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GearHd6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 04:59:08 PM »
Do I just rivet the masterlink instead of using that dumb clip?

No, you don't just rivet a clip type link. There's a special rivet type master link that most likely will come with the chain if it's a 530 chain.
-Jeff

2015 Triumph Tiger XCx
1998 Triumph Daytona T595
2004 Honda CRF250X

chompy

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 12:11:16 AM »
got a new chain coming now i just need to figure out how many oil leaks that thing caused me.....fml