Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PSA- from Harley Davidson  (Read 1112 times)

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
PSA- from Harley Davidson
« on: October 26, 2013, 09:39:27 PM »
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline Tazman2

• Pit Crew
  • Rossi Sr.
    • View Profile
Re: PSA- from Harley Davidson
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:42:23 AM »
That is a whole bunch of stupid in random places. Your suppose to change the oil with the cheapest crap you can find then drain before the season starts not use a $60 kit and THEN run the bike on it as well nothing says water in your oil like following this guide! And I've done the "service tip" not to do MANY times and NEVER a dead battery clearly now I'm starting to see why Harley's have so many issues! lol I only see one common thread in this article spend spend spend! :naughty:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:43:59 AM by Tazman2 »
2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250 "stock"

Offline Ken

• Pit Crew
  • Rossi Sr.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
Taz, the article's recommendations seem pretty standard (except for the plugs for particular branded products).  Look for all the bike magazines to be offering the same advice in their next issues.

I generally don't winterize my bike at all.  I just ride it all winter, so long as the roads are free of snow and ice--staying relatively close to home. 

One winter recently, this didn't work.  The winter before last, was it?  Snowed frequently.  Just when the roads finally got ice-free, we'd get a short warm stretch--flooding the streets with melted snow.  Then it would freeze again and stay very cold, and we'd have ice on the streets again.  Eventually the ice would be gone.  Six hours later it would snow again....

I must have gone 4 months without riding or starting the (non-winterized) bike.  That killed that battery!  Fortunately the 4-month-old gas in the tank combusted OK in the spring.

It's almost enough to make you want to move to Texas. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 04:29:54 PM by Ken »
2002 H-D Road King

Offline SkiMan

• Pit Crew
  • I post a lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »
All I do is change the oil, add a stabilizer to the tank and keep it on a tender in the garage. But, like anyone here, I'll ride it on a nice day through the winter!
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 05:15:32 PM »
All I do is change the oil, add a stabilizer to the tank and keep it on a tender in the garage. But, like anyone here, I'll ride it on a nice day through the winter!
This is about what I do, when I ride, I top of the tank from a gas can.
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline Ken

• Pit Crew
  • Rossi Sr.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 08:52:04 PM »
I have a small house built in the 1930s.  It has its charms (hardwood floors, real tile in the bathroom).  It also has a 1930s-style garage: small, separate from the house, and without electricity.  Maybe I should be looking for a solar-powered trickle-charger? . . .  ???

2002 H-D Road King

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 09:10:56 PM »
http://www.batterymart.com/c-solar-battery-chargers.html

The number of choices is staggering.  Also good for when you leave your car at the airport.
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline Tazman2

• Pit Crew
  • Rossi Sr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 11:57:29 AM »
My bike "sleeps" in a garage attached to the house so it never gets below 45/50ish so that might help! I probably should start trickling my battery as its still the original that came with the bike in 2009! :o
2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250 "stock"