Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brake Techniques  (Read 3413 times)

peewee1703

Brake Techniques
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:57:42 PM »
Oh yea, I'm taking the msf very seriously, as well as riding in general.  I have every intention on being as protected as possible when out on two wheels.  Also I do have some dirtbike experience, though that was 5-6yrs ago.

The dirtbike stuff will help!  Just remember, at times, your throttle is your best friend.  Many times you shouldn't BRAKE to avoid something....rather speed up to get around it!  and the back brake is pretty much usless!

Offline Jay

• mmm...beer
  • Administrator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
    • jayt.org
Brake Techniques
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:44:53 PM »
Oh yea, I'm taking the msf very seriously, as well as riding in general.  I have every intention on being as protected as possible when out on two wheels.  Also I do have some dirtbike experience, though that was 5-6yrs ago.

The dirtbike stuff will help!  Just remember, at times, your throttle is your best friend.  Many times you shouldn't BRAKE to avoid something....rather speed up to get around it!  and the back brake is pretty much usless!

That was the hardest part for me. Go into a turn too fast? DONT BRAKE, lean and roll it on!
-Jay

Offline Jay

• mmm...beer
  • Administrator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
    • jayt.org
Brake Techniques
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 01:30:30 PM »
I'm no expert, but I wouldn't call the back brake useless. Maybe on the track, but you SHOULD be using that back brake on the street, or you are missing a good 30% of your breaking power.
-Jay

Offline Jay

• mmm...beer
  • Administrator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
    • jayt.org
Brake Techniques
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:32:12 PM »
That was the hardest part for me. Go into a turn too fast? DONT BRAKE, lean and roll it on!

I should clarify: when already into the turn with too much speed. Shed all your speed before the turn, when possible.
-Jay

peewee1703

Brake Techniques
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 07:09:51 PM »
I'm no expert, but I wouldn't call the back brake useless. Maybe on the track, but you SHOULD be using that back brake on the street, or you are missing a good 30% of your breaking power.

Don't need it!  If you down shift correctly (with the twin it has HUGE engine braking) and feather your front brake there is almost NO weight on the back wheel which does make it useless!  With no weight on the back wheel, if you touch the brake you are in for a SLIDE.  I don't know anyone who uses the back brake on a sport bike.  A cruiser YES.  Much of your weight is on the back wheel on a cruiser.  On a sport bike....Not so much.

If it is good for the track it's BETTER for the street!  The track is where you LEARN and then put it to practice on the street.  Why do you think the MFG's always makes the front brakes so much bigger than the back brakes?  My bike has rotors on both sides of the front wheel that are 3 times as big as the little single rotor on the back wheel.

Offline Dennis

• Pit Crew
  • Rider
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - grimrpr@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brake Techniques
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 07:23:52 PM »
I use the rear break all the time.  Use it in stopping and for trail breaking into a corner.  Helps settle the bike down.  Never slid the rear yet.

GSXR chica

Brake Techniques
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 07:25:05 PM »
I use the rear break all the time.  Use it in stopping and for trail breaking into a corner.  Helps settle the bike down.  Never slid the rear yet.

how long have u been riding?

Offline Dennis

• Pit Crew
  • Rider
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brake Techniques
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 08:10:58 PM »
Just about 14 years now. 

peewee1703

Brake Techniques
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 04:13:34 PM »

No comprendo "Settle the bike down" ?  The only thing I have ever used a back brake for is doing a wheelie in the dirt to keep the bike from going over backwards or purposly sliding the back wheel through a turn...again, on a dirt bike.  On the street, on a sport bike, to me, it has no use at all unless your into popping wheelies and then again, it's nice to have just in case you start to go over!  Touch that rear brake in THAT situation and you'll be VERY glad it is there!  For me, you could brake off the rear brake lever on my bike and I probably wouldn't notice it missing until I washed the bike the next time.  THEN I'd be PISSED!  You'd throw off the balance!   Ha, Ha.

Offline Dennis

• Pit Crew
  • Rider
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brake Techniques
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 09:34:44 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-Techniques-Develop-Confidence/dp/1893618072

A good read.  It even has a chapter on breaking and the use of the rear break.

CTBumpkin

Brake Techniques
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 11:20:19 AM »
I brake toward the end of a stop when the rear wheel has re-weighted a bit (should do trail-braking, but haven't mastered it yet).  Also, I use it a lot in traffic to let people behind me know I'm slowing down.  It's a good idea to practice emergency stops regularly, which I do a few times a week on the way home when the tires are warm.  That will teach you how much rear brake you can use before it starts to slide around.

BJtitsngolf

Brake Techniques
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 08:33:30 PM »

No comprendo "Settle the bike down" ?  The only thing I have ever used a back brake for is doing a wheelie in the dirt to keep the bike from going over backwards or purposly sliding the back wheel through a turn...again, on a dirt bike.  On the street, on a sport bike, to me, it has no use at all unless your into popping wheelies and then again, it's nice to have just in case you start to go over!  Touch that rear brake in THAT situation and you'll be VERY glad it is there!  For me, you could brake off the rear brake lever on my bike and I probably wouldn't notice it missing until I washed the bike the next time.  THEN I'd be PISSED!  You'd throw off the balance!   Ha, Ha.
I agree, I use the rear brake on mydirtbike all the time, but almost never on my sportbike. but then again I don't consider a Katana a sportbike

Offline kawalaser

• Traitor #1
  • Pit Crew
  • Rider
    • View Profile
Brake Techniques
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »
In a panic situation, lighter use of the front brake coupled with judicious application of the rear will dramatically shorten your stopping distances. Using only your front will decrease rear traction as the wheel tries to lift off the ground. Less traction = less stopping power.

BJtitsngolf

Brake Techniques
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 09:16:10 PM »
If you aint slidin, you aint ridin ;D