Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: shop talk  (Read 4268 times)

Offline SkiMan

• Pit Crew
  • I post a lot
    • View Profile
Re: shop talk
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 05:59:29 PM »
The rx7's also had a seal issue!
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 06:14:09 PM »
Yeah, it was the seal at the tip of the rotating "piston"
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline Tazman2

• Pit Crew
  • Rossi Sr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 07:42:16 PM »
yes thats why they used aviation seals as a mod only problem was when that broke it took out atleast the turbo!
2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250 "stock"

Offline Speedmasterjoel

• Pit Crew
  • Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »
Let's see if my image works. I put the new bars and grips on. The throttle seems a little loose as in there seems to be a bit of free movement between of and on. It snaps all the way back closed and the idle is not higher than it was. My question is which way I turn the adjustment screw. I thought I got it back to where it was when I took very thing off the old bars but I know it's not quite right.

Image is http://imgur.com/Sqg5tIM

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 07:34:49 PM »
New bars and grips look good!
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline Ken

• Pit Crew
  • Rossi Sr.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »
Joel, my (2002, carbureted) bike has two cables running from the twist grip, which the shop manual calls a "throttle cable" and an "idle cable."  Each has a threaded barrel on the cable housing (that surrounds the wire cable) to tighten or loosen the cable.  To tighten the cable (the inner wire) you'd turn the threaded barrel so as effectively to make the housing longerI.e., back the barrel out.

I'm not much of a mechanic, but it sounds to me that perhaps one of the two cables on your bike is too slack and needs to be tightened.

Is your bike set up like this?

The manual warns to check proper cable adjustment when the bars are turned, in addition to when the front wheel is pointing straight ahead.

I don't know if any of this is helpful to you.  I'll be glad to lend you the manual if you'd like.  (Different bikes, but the throttle assembly might be essentially the same.  Or might not.)

Afterthought:

Are your new grips genuine H-D or aftermarket?  (Does that make any possible difference?)  Is your twist-grip designed to work optimally with your bike's fuel-injector system, or could this be part of the problem?  I dunno. . . .

2002 H-D Road King

Offline Speedmasterjoel

• Pit Crew
  • Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 08:48:05 PM »
Thanks Barry.

Ken, the throttle is the same as yours. The throttle tube is the stock tube with new grip put over. I used all the stock switches with aftermarket grips and mirrors. I was going to change out the clutch and brake levers but by the time I got the damn grips on I had enough!

This info does help. I only adjusted one of the throttle wires to remove the tube from the stock bars so I know which one will need to be adjusted. I just don't know which way to turn the screw haha!  The one I played with would be the one closest to the rider if looking down on the bars. So I would assume this is the throttle wire and not the idle wire. Guess I'll need to invest in one of these shop manuals.

Anyway, I rode it to work today and all is fine as for response and idle. Clutch  pulls all the way to the grip and it goes into neutral fine. I didn't play with the clutch cable anyway so I figure there's no reason to worry there. That's one more reason I didn't change the levers.

Offline Jeff

• Iron Butt
  • Pit Crew
  • Post Whore
  • Expert Agitator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GearHd6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »
If the cables are coming out the bottom of the housing then the one closest to the rider is the push cable (idle return). The cable to the front does the pulling (making the throttle open).
-Jeff

2015 Triumph Tiger XCx
1998 Triumph Daytona T595
2004 Honda CRF250X

Offline Speedmasterjoel

• Pit Crew
  • Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 09:11:23 PM »
I stand corrected. Thank you.

Offline Ken

• Pit Crew
  • Rossi Sr.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 10:21:24 AM »
Jeff is correct, the manual confirms.  The cable closer to the rider is the idle cable.

(Nag follows:) As long as you are tinkering with the bike . . . you might consider bolting on a windshield.  Even a small one should greatly increase your comfort at any speed over 50 mph.

My windshield snaps on and off in 10 seconds, so you're welcome to try my bike both ways, just to feel the difference.  Take it for a spin 10 miles down the highway, with and without the shield.  Then you can decide if you want one or not (and I'll stop nagging).

At low speeds, the windshield doesn't make much difference.

(You can borrow the manual too, if you like, as long as you're here.)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:36:19 AM by Ken »
2002 H-D Road King

Offline Ken

• Pit Crew
  • Rossi Sr.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »
Joel adopts a new style and attitude?  (Dig the skull.)

(Just kidding.)

2002 H-D Road King

Offline Tazman2

• Pit Crew
  • Rossi Sr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »
Looks like everybody is going for the "dark" look! Even my buddies previous bike M109R has a "BOSS" edition which is all black no chrome! Personally I don't miss the chrome PITA to keep clean especially when your not cleaning it! ;)
2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250 "stock"

Offline Speedmasterjoel

• Pit Crew
  • Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 04:45:56 PM »
Ken, I'm thinking of putting a fairing on it next year. That and some hard saddlebags.

I don't really care for the 2014. The only thing I like is the tail light. I'm no huge fan of chrome but I'm not one for blacking everything out either. 

Offline Ken

• Pit Crew
  • Rossi Sr.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 01:49:15 PM »
Ken, I'm thinking of putting a fairing on it next year. That and some hard saddlebags.

Cool project!

. . . I'm no huge fan of chrome but I'm not one for blacking everything out either. 

I feel the same.  Apart from the tank and fenders, natural metal color works fine for me.  Getting hard to find anymore, including on Harleys.

2002 H-D Road King

Offline SkiMan

• Pit Crew
  • I post a lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2014, 09:34:52 PM »
Do,we think that there may be some chain slippage?

"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"