Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What gear does everybody wear ,when riding?  (Read 19029 times)

Offline Jay

• mmm...beer
  • Administrator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
    • jayt.org
Re: What gear does everybody wear ,when riding?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 08:29:46 AM »
I found that at least for me, my textile couldn't vent enough. On a few of those real hot days, I was sweating my balls off. I grabbed a Shift mesh jacket for $100 on clearance, and that breathes MUCH better. So now, I don't care how hot the leather may be, therefore I'm regretting my initial textile purchase. It's the blue one that you saw me wearing. Granted, I got it on clearance at CT power and sport for $100 for that Teknik, but still :P

I'll live with my textile, grab some boots relatively soon, and look to snag a two piece leather suit over the winter.
-Jay

Offline Dennis

• Pit Crew
  • Rider
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - grimrpr@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 12:27:55 PM »
Perferated leather seems to work great for cooling and in the cooler months use the liner and a sweat shirt.  Not sure how well they will hold up in a crash though, but I would think it would be better then the mesh or textile.

Wrangler212

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 05:39:45 PM »
I usually wear a riding jacket and a full face helmet. If it's cool out, I'll wear gloves too. If it's warm, I sometimes do without the jacket unless I know I'm going to be on the bike for awhile and if it's too hot, the heat affects my brain and I go without the helmet. Again, unless I'm going to be out for awhile.

Offline kawalaser

• Traitor #1
  • Pit Crew
  • Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 11:43:52 AM »
Shoei helmet, Joe Rocket Mesh Jacket, Generic leather boots, AXO gloves and...jeans!

I need to get some quality mesh pants...

and a job.

peewee1703

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 10:34:53 PM »
Well I don't have a bike yet nor full riding attire.  Just got an HJC AC-12 helmet though and some PowerTrip gloves with carbon fiber knuckle guard.  Still trying to find a good jacket for a decent price, then maybe pants and boots.  Can never be too protected...

Dude!  Save your money and buy a BIKE!!  All that stuff does you no good without wheels!! 

peewee1703

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 10:48:21 PM »
I usually wear a riding jacket and a full face helmet. If it's cool out, I'll wear gloves too. If it's warm, I sometimes do without the jacket unless I know I'm going to be on the bike for awhile and if it's too hot, the heat affects my brain and I go without the helmet. Again, unless I'm going to be out for awhile.

Wear it in THIS order!!  Helmet (Shoei) ALWAYS!!  (ever seen a head that has been in a motorcycle crash that DID NOT have a helmet on?  you'll wear a helmet after you see THAT!).  Gloves, ALWAYS!  Carbon knuckles, double reinforced palms.  Oxstar Boots ALWAYS!!  Frank Thomas Leather or Ducati ventedfull hard padded jacket.  Trip over 50 miles....Full Frank Thomas leathers or Joe rocket leathers. 

Here is a helpful hint if you get HOT!!  Buy Under Armor !!  It's like air conditioning under your leathers!!  Well Worth the 40-50 bucks per piece! 

I am not able to understand why an educated person would ride without a helmet 1st, gloves 2nd or Boots 3rd!  If it is too HOT to wear at least those three.....I STAY HOME!  No exceptions.  NEVER.

OK, I guess we know where I stand! 

Rant over

BoxDude

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 10:51:14 PM »
Dude!  Save your money and buy a BIKE!!  All that stuff does you no good without wheels!! 

Haha I know.  I'm in the process of buying one now...going through all the technicalities.  Must have been nice back in the day when you just swapped some money for the item...

Yev

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 11:19:07 PM »
Helmet (Shoei),  jacket  (Shift mesh for summer, Shift leather for cooler temps), gloves (Shift M1) boots (Frank Thomas), and Jeans/kevlar reinforced khakis. I wear all of these at all times.

IF IT'S TOO HOT TO WEAR THE GEAR IT'S TOO HOT TO RIDE!

peewee1703

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 07:17:32 AM »

Haha I know.  I'm in the process of buying one now...going through all the technicalities.  Must have been nice back in the day when you just swapped some money for the item...

Not quite sure what was meant by that but, TODAY, if you have some money, you can go swap it for the item.  I do it everyday.  BUNCHES of times.    You are spending a LOT of money on stuff you cannot use.  AGAIN my friend.  You could get a $3000 bike (In THIS economy you can get a NICE bike for $3000) and get a personnel loan (have a parent cosign) and have a $129/month payment.  Insurance on a $3000 bike would probable be UNDER $200/year if you shop and THEN, You are not a TROLL anymore!  You are out there riding with the rest of us!  If you gave me time, I bet I could find you a GREAT starter bike for $1500 or LESS.  It won't be a 2004 GSXr but it will be a bike that WOULD be great to start on! 

Have you taken the State safety course??? 

peewee1703

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 07:18:56 AM »
Helmet (Shoei),  jacket  (Shift mesh for summer, Shift leather for cooler temps), gloves (Shift M1) boots (Frank Thomas), and Jeans/kevlar reinforced khakis. I wear all of these at all times.

IF IT'S TOO HOT TO WEAR THE GEAR IT'S TOO HOT TO RIDE!

Now THAT is what I like to hear!  You can ride with me ANYTIME!

Offline Jay

• mmm...beer
  • Administrator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
    • jayt.org
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 07:29:24 AM »

Not quite sure what was meant by that but, TODAY, if you have some money, you can go swap it for the item.  I do it everyday.  BUNCHES of times.    You are spending a LOT of money on stuff you cannot use.  AGAIN my friend.  You could get a $3000 bike (In THIS economy you can get a NICE bike for $3000) and get a personnel loan (have a parent cosign) and have a $129/month payment.  Insurance on a $3000 bike would probable be UNDER $200/year if you shop and THEN, You are not a TROLL anymore!  You are out there riding with the rest of us!  If you gave me time, I bet I could find you a GREAT starter bike for $1500 or LESS.  It won't be a 2004 GSXr but it will be a bike that WOULD be great to start on! 

Have you taken the State safety course??? 

I wouldn't call him a troll...

He is taking the course at the end of the month, and in the process of buying a Katana 600.

I really, really need to buy some boots :) Maybe next month, when I can more easily afford them. I spent waay too much on gear this month.
-Jay

BoxDude

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 09:09:37 AM »
What I meant was loan paperwork, insurance, registration, etc that goes along with vehicle purchases.  And yes I'm taking the safety course end of the month.

Offline Jeff

• Iron Butt
  • Pit Crew
  • Post Whore
  • Expert Agitator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GearHd6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 08:58:18 PM »
I wear an HJC CL12 helmet, Tourmaster/Cortech textile jacket, Shift Hybrid X gloves and a pair of Chippewa work boots.
-Jeff

2015 Triumph Tiger XCx
1998 Triumph Daytona T595
2004 Honda CRF250X

Offline Jay

• mmm...beer
  • Administrator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
    • jayt.org
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
I have my eyes on these:
Vertigo

I ordered these yesterday.
-Jay

GSXR chica

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 11:59:58 AM »
I have my eyes on these:
Vertigo

that's what i have and i love 'em! :D

No problems with street riding?

absolutely not... i wear them EVERY time i ride!