Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: gotta problem in new york city  (Read 1358 times)

Offline DL98VFR

• Baby Squid
    • View Profile
    • Email
gotta problem in new york city
« on: August 05, 2011, 02:26:55 PM »
Hello to all, I have a problem: am in nyc, was riding to work this morning (lower west side), noticed VFR was running HOT (260ish),checked bike out fromsaddle @ stop lights, saw leak, got to my destination and leak was apparently from center of bike behind front end of main fairing.  Need mechanic/shop referral BAD!!!  Also can I put water in reservoir to get bike moved?  Obviously have to monitor level aggressively, or will water cause damage?  In a tough spot, appreciate ANY feedback, also my cell is 860 922 0969 feel free to call, will call back if I miss you!  Thanks again!!!
David

Offline SkiMan

• Pit Crew
  • I post a lot
    • View Profile
Re: gotta problem in new york city
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »
Best I can offer is Camrod Motorsports, 11th Avenue and w47th Street
Can be contacted at 212-582-3500
Know nothing about them other then Honda dealer
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »
Water can get you to the shop, but want to get back to antifreeze for both boiling protection and anti corrosion.  NYC does have shops on the west side.
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline DL98VFR

• Baby Squid
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:51:16 PM »
Thanks Skiman and barrypz, couldn't get in touch w/Camrod before they closed but did speak to guy at Cycle Therapy...anyone been there or know them?  Also an idiot's question (I am one) :-\, can I use auto antifreeze/coolant in the bike?  Hadn't had a coolant problem until today...

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 07:54:23 PM »
Make sure it says silicate, phosphate and borate free and extended life.

I did my replacement this year with Prestone extended life pre-diluted.
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline SkiMan

• Pit Crew
  • I post a lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 08:52:41 AM »
DL....how did you make out?

Offline DL98VFR

• Baby Squid
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »
Hey Skiman, thanks for asking; rode the bike uptown to Cycle Therapy today; with my seemingly typical excellent timing (NOT  :facepalm:), by the time I was able to get away from my responsibilities and call Camrod they'd closed; the guys @ CT seem super helpful and very generously unwilling to acknowledge/rub my face in my mechanical idiocy...was a very interesting ride uptown to 127th and 3rd from 21st and 10th with all my eyeballs on the streets/cabs etc while keeping an extra eye on the bloody temp guage...should have the bike back or at least a clear idea of what is wrong if more complex than a simple hose/clamp by Mon/Tue...trying to look on the bright sides, hopefully CT is as good as they seem (and they seem very good), hopefully I didn't eff the bike up any more by riding it with its problem and hopefully my analytical/mechanical skills will improve with every bump in the road!  Cripes, my grandfather, my dad, my stepbrother and both half-brothers are ALL competent-to-brilliant mechanics...my selection of genes seems to, um, not include those  :banghead:
Again thanks for your interest-
David

Offline SkiMan

• Pit Crew
  • I post a lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 09:36:26 PM »
Dl....glad to hear you were able to get it into someone down there. Keep us posted as to what the outcome is. Always kind of curious about issues that seem to crop up and how their resolved, hey ....we all actually learn.