Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: fluids  (Read 731 times)

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
fluids
« on: August 22, 2010, 09:14:55 PM »
This is my big maintenance year and I'm starting to gather parts for the cooler weather.

I need to replace brake and antifreeze this year

The SV is pretty tolerant of brake fluids, it does not use 5, but can use 3, 4, or 5.1.
5.1 requires a full system flush, and I have  the additional complication of my ABS.
Bike comes stock with 3, so my easiest path is to use a baster and replace everything in the master cylinder, then do it again in a week.  Gives me 99% with no bleeding needed.
Any comments on fluid type (staying with DOT 3) or partial replacement?

I am also expecting that with an electronic ignition, the plugs do not really need to be replaced.  I have 2 per cylinder, and the bike still fires right up.  Easy enough to just look at them while I have things open.

Suzuki does not have an OEM antifreeze as far as I can tell.  They say "use green".  Any favorites out there?

I'm really looking forward to pulling off the fairings and reinstalling.  I always liked the look of the quarter fairing, could be there for a while if this goes long.
maybe the sky IS falling

Offline Jeff

• Iron Butt
  • Pit Crew
  • Post Whore
  • Expert Agitator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GearHd6
    • View Profile
Re: fluids
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:20:13 PM »
I'm partial to Prestone. I've got nothing to really back it up but I've never had issues with it. I usually buy the premixed stuff unless I've got some distilled water kicking around.
-Jeff

2015 Triumph Tiger XCx
1998 Triumph Daytona T595
2004 Honda CRF250X

Offline barrypz

• "Tag Master"
  • Global Moderator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
Re: fluids
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:57:08 PM »
I saw on SV site that people split between regular Prestone and some wetter than water bike stuff.  I have no real problems with temperature, so the Prestone sounds like a good idea.
maybe the sky IS falling