Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Roadside Eats  (Read 22083 times)

Offline SkiMan

• Pit Crew
  • I post a lot
    • View Profile
Roadside Eats
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:42:19 PM »
Thought I would throw a new topic out there....

Anybody have a favorite roadside spot to stop for eats, you know, one of those you have to go to places because the burgers or chilli dogs are so damn good.

I typically hit Harry's in Colchester (mini burgers, chilli dogs)
or
Johnny Ads in Old Saybrook (Fried Clams)
or
The Vanilla Bean in Pomfret (soups and sandwiches)
or
Hallmark in Old Lyme (Shakes)
Have also been known to hit:
The Pilot House in Haddam
and of course,
close to home,
Shady Glen in Manchester (home of the Bernice Burger)
So, we need places west of the river or anything in between that are "must stop at.... because the...... are the best"

Lets hear what you've got..................
If you've got pic's even better ;D

Updated List 7-14-11

Road Side Eatery                                      Location                                Specialty

Harry's                                                Colchester                                Burgers
Johnny Ads                                          Old Saybrook (Rt 1)                    Seafood
Vanilla Bean                                         Promfret                                   Soups and Sandwiches
Hallmark                                              Old Lyme (Shore Rd)                   General
Pilot House                                           Haddam                                   General
Shady Glen                                          Manchester                               Bernice Burger (crunchy cheese)
Murphy's                                             Columbia                                   Chili Dogs
Sycamore Drive-In                                Bethel (Intesection 302 and 53)     Dagwood Burger
Abbott's                                              Noank (Pearl St.)                        Seafood
The Oar                                              Haddam (Rt 154, by the river)       Sandwiches
Captain Scott's lobster Dock                   New London                               Seafood
The Whistle Stop                                  Deep River                                 Breakfast/Lunch
Rick's                                                  Wallingford (Route 5)                   General
Ted's                                                  Meriden                                     Steamed Burgers
Landing Zone                                       Burlington/Harwinton Line              General
Rein's Deli                                            Vernon (Rt 85)                            NY style Deli
Toymakers                                           Falls Village (85 Main Street)         Breakfast/Lunch
Hoyt's Finish Line                                  154 Mashapaug Rd, Holland, MA     Fried seafood, burgers, ice cream
5 Guys                                                East Lyme (Flanders Road)            Heart Burn City!
                                                         Groton Rte 184
                                                         Farmington (Swamp Scott Rd)
Midway Restaurant                           Ashford Rt 44                                 Fish and Chips, Pizza
Red Rock Cafe                                   Storrs, Rt 44                                  Calamari, Pizza
B.T.'s Smokehouse                           Sturbridge MA Rt 20                   Smoked meats
Dark Horse Tavern                  Southbridge MA 12 Crane            Step above pub food, Home brews
Simons Marketplace                          Chester, 17 Main St. 
Coriander Cafe                                  Eastford, Rt 198                           Rueben, Burgers, Sandwiches
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:47:22 AM by Jeff »
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

Offline Jay

• mmm...beer
  • Administrator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
    • jayt.org
Re: Roadside Eats
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:00:30 AM »
Great Idea.

the only thing I can think of, off the top of my head is Lenny and Joes Fishtale in Madison.
-Jay

Wrangler212

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
Almost any Dunkin' Donuts for me. I'm a coffee hound. I have recently become partial to the one in the Lukoil gas station in Norwich.

Harry's does have really good burgers. I go by there a lot but I haven't stopped to eat there in quite a while.

I'm often in Manchester but I wasn't aware of Shady Glen. Where exactly is it?

Offline Jay

• mmm...beer
  • Administrator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
    • jayt.org
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 12:25:57 PM »
We need to have a food ride.
-Jay

BoxDude

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:27:59 PM »
lol!  :P

CTBumpkin

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 12:39:22 PM »
We go to Harry's and Shady Glen regularly.  There's a Shady Glen at the Parkade (W. Middle Turnpike), but we prefer the one out by Bolton (E. Middle Turnpike/Rt. 44).  The Bernice Burger is the best cheeseburger in the world...worth a ride from anywhere.

BoxDude

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 12:59:06 PM »
hmm, I loves me a good cheeseburger  :love:  Might have to make the trip sometime.

Offline Jay

• mmm...beer
  • Administrator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
    • jayt.org
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 01:04:43 PM »
Ride to Shady Glen! Let's do it!
-Jay

CTBumpkin

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 01:53:26 PM »
How about Saturday?

Wrangler212

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 05:20:26 PM »
I have my kids on Saturdays and no side cars. How about a Sunday?

BoxDude

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »
Any day works for me! I'm hungry!

Wrangler212

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 06:27:03 PM »
So what do y'all say to a Sunday lunch run to Harry's?

Offline Jay

• mmm...beer
  • Administrator
  • Post Whore
    • View Profile
    • jayt.org
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 07:06:30 AM »
I may not be good for the next couple weekends.. but if it sSunday, then I might convince the SO to ride 2up. We'll see.
-Jay

CTBumpkin

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 12:06:48 PM »
Sorry, got to go to Mom's on Sunday. 

Offline SkiMan

• Pit Crew
  • I post a lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 09:46:18 PM »
What's the name of the place in either Madison or Guilford, it's on Route 1, tree stump tables and chairs. Can't remember what was good eats, just remember it being unique? It might not even be there anymore, I'm thinking back 20-30 yrs now :o

And there is a place just over the old singing bridge in Westbrook, red building on the north side of the road, supposedly good roadside seafood.

Lenny and Joes is good but can often be filled with lots of blue hairs eating up the early bird special.

If you guys decide to do Harry's on Sunday you might want to do a little side trip down through Devils Hopyard from the Lake Haywood end (just outside of Colchester). All back road riding, slow ride if you don't know the area.
Sunday might be do able for me.

"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"